Parkinson’s disease, also known as ‘kampavata’ in Ayurveda is the fourth commonest neurological degenerative disorder found in aged people. According to statistics, it affects around 1% of the population over 65 years. This disorder starts with a barely unnoticeable tremor in one hand. Gradually, the patient starts experiencing stiffness and slow down of movements.
Early symptoms of Parkinson’s disease include:
- Slowness in body movements
- Difficulty in walking
Some of the later symptoms include:
- Problem in thinking and behaviour
- Emotional problems
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Sensory issues
According to the modern science, Parkinson’s disease is caused because of the loss of some specialized cells in a region of mid-brain. These cells produce dopamine – the neurotransmitter. Ayurveda believes that this disorder is caused due to vitiation of vata dosha which results in the imbalance of rasa dhatu. Owing to this, Ayurveda stresses on balancing the vata dosha for Parkinson’s disease treatment. It lays emphasis on a holistic approach for Parkinson’s disease treatment that includes internal and external therapies. Ayurvedic medical stores and centres provide specialised treatment for this disorder with great success rate.
Some tips that are very effective in Parkinson’s disease treatment are:
- High fibre food items: It is important for the patient to eat high fibre food items and plenty of fluids to keep the energy and fitness levels high. High fibre food items and fluids also prevent constipation, which is a common problem faced by a Parkinson’s disease patient.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is essential for Parkinson’s disease treatment. It is a good antioxidant and is very helpful in protecting the brain.
- Vitamin B12: Like Vitamin E, Vitamin B12 is also very effective in Parkinson’s disease treatment. Fortified cereals are a rich source of Vitamin B12.
- Antioxidants: One of the most beneficial food items for Parkinson’s disease treatment is antioxidants. Indian gooseberry is an excellent antioxidant to fight against Parkinson’s disease.
- Green Tea: Research has shown that green tea contains neuro-protective agent, which is very effective in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- Turmeric: A great ayurvedic herb, turmeric disrupts protein that are responsible for this disorder.
- Massage: Ayurvedic massage helps in regeneration and relaxation which helps in Parkinson’s disease treatment. The patient must visit Ayurvedic medical store or centre for more information on this.
Yoga: Aasanas like Tadaasana, Urdhwa Hastaasana, Uttanaasana, Virbhadaraasana and Yoga Mudra are particularly very helpful to fight against Parkinson’s disease.